Saturday, 8 October 2016

Donald Trump, the Antifreeze Candidate


There are despicable criminals that deserve capital punishment. But I do not support capital punishment because no system can guarantee that only the truly deserving criminals die. If one innocent dies for every 100 or 1,000 criminals, then I cannot support or endorse capital punishment.

What does this have to do with Donald Trump?

Imagine a society that locks up citizens for holding dangerous ideas. In reality this is not possible for a myriad of reasons without defending the principles of free speech. Thought policing just doesn't work. But in such a society, I would maintain that being a Donald Trump supporter would qualify a citizen for holding dangerous ideals. This is where we are at, and have been at for a while, in the 2016 US Presidential election. Locking up citizens for dangerous thoughts is in no way realistic or supportable, but being a Donald Trump supporter definitely qualifies a person in such a society. I'm using this example to make a point. I'm not calling for the literal mass incarceration of American citizens, I'm using this analogy to point out how much of a danger Trump supporters are to the American people as a whole.

Donald Trump has absolutely zero redeeming qualities. There is nothing about that man that makes even a minute amount of sense for him to be president. It is this central fact that Donald Trump supporters and apologizers completely ignore. I understand not liking Hillary Clinton very much. I will even agree that she will not make a great president. But she is by a million miles a better candidate than Donald Trump. The gulf between the two candidates defies description. Just because Trump says some things that people want to hear, that does not qualify him for the presidency.

Hillary Clinton is the Coors Light of beers. You need to damn near freeze that shit to hide its disgusting flavour and make it palatable. But drinking Coors Light won't kill you. Donald Trump on the other hand, is ethylene glycol. It's sweet and tasty, but that shit will kill you. If I had only two choices, Coors Light and ethylene glycol, I would choose Coors Light every single time. And to stretch this metaphor past its breaking point, if drinking Coors Light meant preventing people from ingesting and dying from ethylene glycol, I would order Coors Light by the pallet load, I would not opt out.

This is the stark choice facing the American people. Choose the Coors Light candidate. The other candidate is nothing more than a threat to the American way of life. There is nothing there that justifies supporting him, and the fact that anyone supports him is a direct threat to all of us.

3 comments:

Tal Hartsfeld said...

About the best analogy I've read so far.
What you say here makes more sense than a lot of what I've read concerning the differences between Trump and Clinton.

Ken Breadner said...

I miss your long-form writing. This is fantastic. Do you mind if I share this on Facebook?

Catelli said...

Go ahead Ken!